Saturday, February 13, 2021

Master Henry passed away suddenly at the Sunshine Ch'an Temple on the Sunshine Coast

All this decay. A Buddha can only point the way. Become a lamp unto yourself. Work out your salvation. Strive on diligently...Growing old is the dharma of all composite things." Buddha Shakyamuni Ashvagosha, 'Buddhacarita,' XXVI, 83-6, 88-106 reads: “Thereupon the Buddha turned to his Disciples, and said to them: 'Everything comes to an end, though it may last for an aeon. The hour of parting is bound to come in the end. Now I have done what I could do, both for myself and for others. To stay here would from now on be without any purpose. I have disciplined, in heaven and on earth, all those whom I could discipline, and I have set them in the stream. Hereafter this my Dharma, 0 monks, shall abide for generations and generations among living beings. Therefore, recognize the true nature of the living world, and do not be anxious; for separation cannot possibly be avoided. Recognize that all that lives is subject to this law; and strive from today onwards that it shall be thus no more ! When the light of gnosis has dispelled the darkness of ignorance, when an existence has been seen as without substance, peace ensues when life draws to an end, which seems to cure a long sickness at last. Everything, whether stationary or moveable, is bound to perish in the end. Be ye therefore mindful and vigilant! The time for my entry into Nirvana has now arrived. These are my last words!' , [Source: Edward Conze, in Conze (ed.), “Buddhist Scriptures” (Penguin Books, 1959), pp. 62-4
Video Master Henry meditating at the top of the Sunshine Cha'n Temple Recording Master Henry playing the conch at the Sunshine Ch'an Temple September 10- 2010

No comments: